Most Active Stories
- Carl Kasell Announces Retirement: Here Are 3 Things You Might Not Know About Him
- The Duke Porn Star: Three Waves Of Internet Shaming
- Durham-Chapel Hill Light Rail Project: Where Those Rails Might Go
- 'High School Is Not Easy. It's Not'
- NC County Will Trade Vintage Bonnie And Clyde Style Machine Guns For New Weapons
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Business & Economy
Mon June 3, 2013
Bridging To New Jobs At PTI Airport
Beginning Monday, officials with the State Department of Transportation will accept bids for a highway project in Guilford County. This project is two parts road and one part bridge at and around PTI Airport. The plan is to build a bridge connecting two parcels of land, one which has hundreds of undeveloped acres, the other of which has runways. Officials believe a bridge could not only connect the two but also attract an aerospace company for expansion in the region.
“They (PTI Airport Authority) own about 1,200 acres. It will be able to connect both of these, parcels that the airport owns, so we’re talking about a huge, a huge opportunity to bring in more jobs around this area,” said Mike Mills, Engineer with the D.O.T.
Mills estimates the entire project is going to cost somewhere between $250 and $300 million. He says the bridge could be finished by as early as mid-2015.