Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Wed December 12, 2012
Brewing Beer Battle
After prohibition, harsh regulations restricted the distribution and sale of alcohol in the United States. The so-called three-tier system left a niche open for craft brewers, who are exempt from the regulations that apply to big companies. Now, a near-monopoly by big time beer businesses threatens the regulatory framework that has enabled craft brewers to thrive.
Host Frank Stasio talks about the changing regulatory climate for alcohol with independent journalist Tim Heffernan; Erik Lars Myers, the founder of Mystery Brewing Company in Hillsborough; and Sean Lilly Wilson, owner of Fullsteam Brewery in Durham.