Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- Do You Know This Chapel Hill Bus Driver? Man Wants To Say Thanks
- Witness To A Texas Execution: Part One
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- Have We Been Overestimating Flood Risk On The Outer Banks?
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Wed December 12, 2012
Brewing Beer Battle
After prohibition, harsh regulations restricted the distribution and sale of alcohol in the United States. The so-called three-tier system left a niche open for craft brewers, who are exempt from the regulations that apply to big companies. Now, a near-monopoly by big time beer businesses threatens the regulatory framework that has enabled craft brewers to thrive.
Host Frank Stasio talks about the changing regulatory climate for alcohol with independent journalist Tim Heffernan; Erik Lars Myers, the founder of Mystery Brewing Company in Hillsborough; and Sean Lilly Wilson, owner of Fullsteam Brewery in Durham.