Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue March 19, 2013
Breast-feeding Mothers Living In First Food Deserts
Originally published on Tue March 19, 2013 12:34 pm
Most people are aware of the positive effects of breast-feeding. But in many areas of the country, breast-feeding is not the cultural norm, and there's little support available for mothers. Host Michel Martin talks with Kimberly Seals Allers, the co-author of a new report on so-called "first food deserts," and a nursing mother, Areti Gourzis.