Most Active Stories
- Carl Kasell Announces Retirement: Here Are 3 Things You Might Not Know About Him
- The Duke Porn Star: Three Waves Of Internet Shaming
- Durham-Chapel Hill Light Rail Project: Where Those Rails Might Go
- 'High School Is Not Easy. It's Not'
- NC County Will Trade Vintage Bonnie And Clyde Style Machine Guns For New Weapons
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Tue June 18, 2013
Breaking Into Rock Music's Boy's Club
Mount Moriah fans are familiar with Heather McIntyre’s heart-wrenching vocals. But they may not be familiar with her work with the summer camp Girls Rock NC. In fact, several fan favorites of the Triangle music scene support Girls Rock, including singer-songwriter Laura Thurston and Maria Albani of Schooner.
Girls Rock teaches young girls to make music. But more than that, it teaches them confidence and creativity. This year, 250 campers will convene for lessons in Rock 'n Roll, and also in zine-making, DIY crafting, and body confidence.
Host Frank Stasio is joined by Hannah Shaw, Director of Operations of Girls Rock NC, and Emma Livingston, a 13-year-old singer-songwriter and Girls Rock attendee.