Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Business & Economy
Mon June 3, 2013
Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina employees will soon move out of their landmark Chapel Hill headquarters and consolidate operations in Durham. The health insurer purchased two buildings on its Durham campus where they could move employees starting in September.
Spokesman Lew Borman says the move is expected to save the company up to $2.5 million in operating costs annually. As for the signature building they now call home, Borman says its fate is yet to be determined.
"In 1973 when we opened the doors of the Chapel Hill glass, rhomboid structure it was state of the art…and there's a lot of history here,” Borman says. “So we know the importance of this building to the community and we're going to work closely with town leaders and keep them informed as we discuss the future of this property."
Borman says he expects most of the 900 Chapel Hill employees to make the move to Durham. Chapel Hill officials say they made every effort to keep the company in the town.