Most Active Stories
- Viral Video: 'XMas Jammies' Features WNCN Anchor Penn Holderness And His Family
- DOT Secretary And SELC Director Debate Bonner Bridge
- Listeners Comment: NC Ranks #7 On List Of Nation’s Worst Drivers
- Professors: NC Conservative Think Tank Trying To 'Bully' Chapel Hill Instructor
- The Case Against Multivitamins Grows Stronger
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Thu April 19, 2012
The Beautiful Project
After her mother’s death, photographer Jamaica Gilmer interviewed the women in her family about the times they struggled with identity and how they developed their notions of beauty.
Their responses inspired her to create The Beautiful Project, a program that uses photography and workshops to build self-esteem in Black girls. Gilmer joins host Frank Stasio to talk about teaching young African-American women to recognize the beauty in their own images.