Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Thu April 19, 2012
The Beautiful Project
After her mother’s death, photographer Jamaica Gilmer interviewed the women in her family about the times they struggled with identity and how they developed their notions of beauty.
Their responses inspired her to create The Beautiful Project, a program that uses photography and workshops to build self-esteem in Black girls. Gilmer joins host Frank Stasio to talk about teaching young African-American women to recognize the beauty in their own images.