Most Active Stories
- NC State Student Uncovered Neck Bone Of Biggest Dinosaur Ever
- LISTEN: ‘Thirsty’ Might Not Mean What You Think It Does
- PinUp Portraiture As Therapy
- 'Breathtaking' Images Discovered Of A 1950s Shoeshine Competition In North Carolina
- Duke University Application Adds Question About Sexual Orientation And Gender Identity
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Tue February 14, 2012
Basnight Has Lou Gehrig's Disease
Former Senate leader Marc Basnight has been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease.
Jessica Jones: 64-year-old Marc Basnight stepped down after 26 years of service as a state senator last January, citing health reasons. At the time he said doctors hadn't figured out why he was having speech and balance problems. Basnight acknowledged the diagnosis in an interview with the North Carolina Coastal Federation. Manteo mayor Jamie Daniels says it's heartbreaking to know the former Democratic Senate leader has the neuromuscular disease.
Jamie Daniels: He's always just such a friendly, warm character, he's just one of the greatest guys you'll ever meet.
Lou Gehrig's disease affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that control voluntary muscle movement. Scientists have not found a cure yet.