Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Tue February 14, 2012
Basnight Has Lou Gehrig's Disease
Former Senate leader Marc Basnight has been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease.
Jessica Jones: 64-year-old Marc Basnight stepped down after 26 years of service as a state senator last January, citing health reasons. At the time he said doctors hadn't figured out why he was having speech and balance problems. Basnight acknowledged the diagnosis in an interview with the North Carolina Coastal Federation. Manteo mayor Jamie Daniels says it's heartbreaking to know the former Democratic Senate leader has the neuromuscular disease.
Jamie Daniels: He's always just such a friendly, warm character, he's just one of the greatest guys you'll ever meet.
Lou Gehrig's disease affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that control voluntary muscle movement. Scientists have not found a cure yet.