Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Business & Economy
Fri April 15, 2011
Aviation Hub in Currituck County
Officials in Currituck County announced today they are building a Regional Aviation and Technical Training Center. The area is surrounded by several aviation-type businesses and the U-S Coast Guard in Elizabeth City. Dan Scanlon is the Currituck County Manager. He says this is a great opportunity for northeastern North Carolina.
Dan Scanlon: "We’re right next door to the Hampton Roads area which has a large military presence and a shipyard building presence. And it’s a part of a niche economy that we think is a growing economy and certainly one that we feel we can step up and compete in."
The aviation training center is a joint project between Currituck County and the College of the Albermarle. The center will feature a FAA certified curriculum that would allow students to get jobs in the inspection and maintenance of aircraft engines.