Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- National Geographic Report, 'Rising Seas: Will The Outer Banks Survive?'
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue March 26, 2013
App State Latest Domino In Conference Realignment
Appalachian State University is expected to announce a major change this week for its athletic department. After more than 40 years competing in the Southern Conference, the school in Boone, NC, will announce a transition to the Sun Belt Conference. App State has considered moving its 20 athletic teams for several years and is likely to start competing in the new conference next year.
The move is fueled by football and driven by possibilities of more exposure and greater revenues at a higher level. The Mountaineer football team won three consecutive FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) National Titles from 2005 to 2007. App State has competed in the FCS playoffs in each of the last eight seasons.
The transition would include all of the school’s 20 athletic teams and a formal announcement is expected sometime this week.