Most Active Stories
- NC State Student Uncovered Neck Bone Of Biggest Dinosaur Ever
- Map Shows Where And When Fall Colors Peak In North Carolina
- NC Photographer Uses Pinup Photos As A Way For Women To Appreciate Their Bodies
- George Hamilton IV: 1937-2014. Five Songs That Made Him Famous
- 'Breathtaking' Images Discovered Of A 1950s Shoeshine Competition In North Carolina
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Newport Folk Festival
Sat July 26, 2014
Anais Mitchell & Jefferson Hamer, Live In Concert: Newport Folk 2014
Originally published on Mon July 28, 2014 10:03 am
There's ambition rooted in the pursuit of personal glory, and then there's creative ambition, rooted in a desire to do what hasn't already been done. Anais Mitchell is a folksinger with a kind, approachable voice. But she also takes on heady and inventive concepts, from an album-length "folk opera" adapting the myth of Orpheus (2010's great Hadestown, represented here with "Wedding Song") to Child Ballads, her seven-song collaboration with singer-songwriter Jefferson Hamer.
Hamer has creative ambition of his own: His work frequently stretches out to incorporate ancient Irish music and the traditional sounds of Appalachia. So he's a nice fit for Child Ballads, in which he and Mitchell take on early traditional folk songs in ways that still feel accessible today.
Hear the duo perform as part of the 2014 Newport Folk Festival, recorded live on Friday, July 25 in Newport, R.I.
"Willie Of Winsbury (Child 100)"
"Riddles Wisely Expounded (Child 1)"
"Willie's Lady (Child 6)"
"Young Man In America"
"Geordie (Child 209)"
"Clyde Waters (Child 216)"