Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Police In NC Could Start Tracking License Plates On State Highways
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Wed April 11, 2012
Americans Elect Files For NC Ballot
A national non-profit group called Americans Elect is working across the country to gain ballot access for the 2012 presidential election. Today the group filed a petition of more than 120-thousand signatures with North Carolina's State Election Board. If certified, Americans Elect will get a line on the November ballot. Dagny Leonard is a spokeswoman for the group.
Dagny Leonard: We've actually already achieved a line on the ballot in 21 states. So North Carolina will be the next one, will bring us to 22, and we're really just trying to open up the political process and allow for more competition in this election.
Leonard says the group plans to use an internet-based nominating process to field a ticket for the 2012 presidential election. Under guidelines set by the Federal Elections Commission, Americans Elect cannot accept funds from candidates or candidate committees.