Most Active Stories
- North Carolina-Based Band Snags Notable 'Song Of The Year' Honors
- Charlotte, NC: Take A Virtual Ride On The World's Tallest, Fastest Giga Rollercoaster (Video)
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Mon November 11, 2013
American Legion Commander Shatters Barriers
When Patricia Harris became leader of the North Carolina Department of the American Legion, she was the first African-American and the first female to take the post.
A second generation legionnaire, Harris served in the Persian Gulf War. Her experiences give a window into some of the issues facing America’s modern military: women in combat, sexual assault, the transition to civilian life and veteran healthcare. Host Frank Stasio talks with Commander Harris about her service and the work of the American Legion in North Carolina.