Most Active Stories
- Political Flyer With Photo Of Lynching Distributed At North Carolina Church
- 'Masses' Of Sharks Near Shore On Carolina Coast
- Photos Of Same-Sex Marriage Celebrations Around North Carolina
- Academic Fraud At UNC: Athletes Directed Toward Bogus Classes
- McCrory Says He'll Uphold Gay North Carolinians' Right To Marry
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Mon November 11, 2013
American Legion Commander Shatters Barriers
When Patricia Harris became leader of the North Carolina Department of the American Legion, she was the first African-American and the first female to take the post.
A second generation legionnaire, Harris served in the Persian Gulf War. Her experiences give a window into some of the issues facing America’s modern military: women in combat, sexual assault, the transition to civilian life and veteran healthcare. Host Frank Stasio talks with Commander Harris about her service and the work of the American Legion in North Carolina.