Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Police In NC Could Start Tracking License Plates On State Highways
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon May 19, 2014
All Americans: Fort Bragg Honors the 82nd Airborne
All American Week gets underway today at Fort Bragg to honor members of the 82nd Airborne Division.
Events begin this morning with a four-mile division run with 20,000 participants.
Wednesday is International Day, where military leaders from US allies will be invited to tour the base and attend a ball in the evening.
Lieutenant Colonel Bob Risdon said the culminating events will be held Thursday when thousands will turn out to see the Division Review.
“Veterans from wars going all the way back to WWII will come and in some cases march in the parade, and you'll see all 20,000 paratroopers standing on the parade field with their maroon berets. It’s a very, very exciting thing to see and watch,” Risdon said. “And then the last event we'll have for the week is our memorial ceremony where we will honor our fallen comrades.”
82nd Airborne paratroopers have participated in conflicts dating back to World War I.
Risdon said there will also be a series of competitive sporting events throughout the week including hand-to-hand combat, and football and basketball games.