Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Science & Technology
Wed May 18, 2011
Ag Tech Center for North Carolina
A major effort is underway to grow North Carolina’s Agricultural Technology Industry. Alexandria Real Estate Equities of California announced yesterday it is building a 50-thousand-square-foot Ag-Tech Center near Research Triangle Park. More than one-third of the space will be a greenhouse. Amber Shirley is director of Biotechnology-Crops Development at the North Carolina Biotechnology Center. She says Alexandria’s greenhouse space will be flexible and collaborative.
Amber Shirley: "Alexandria has become very distinguished for providing spaces where companies can lease lab space. And because of the concentration and the fact that NC has become the home for ag-biotech prospering companies, they looked at bringing such a facility to North Carolina."
State officials say the Ag-Tech Center could help boost North Carolina’s 74-billion-dollar agriculture industry to a 100-billion-dollar industry by the year 20-20.