Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Wed December 11, 2013
African American Music Trails Of Eastern North Carolina
Maceo Parker, Billy Taylor, Thelonius Monk: many soul and jazz legends have North Carolina roots. The new book "African American Music Trails of Eastern North Carolina," creates a road map of African American musical history.
Frank Stasio talks with the book's author, Sarah Bryan and Michelle Lanier, Director of North Carolina’s African American Heritage Commission. Also, musicians Bill Myers and Dick Knight of the band The Monitors join the conversation.