Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue March 25, 2014
450 Teachers Will Get Bonuses To Share What They Know
Governor Pat McCrory says he plans to reward more than 400 teachers with bonuses in exchange for sharing their techniques.
The plan is called the Governor's Teacher Network. Teachers apply and those who are selected will serve for one year as content experts and facilitators.
Those 450 teachers will get a bonus of $10,000 dollars each for sharing their best work with their colleagues. The money comes from a federal Race to The Top grant that is meant to improve teaching and learning in North Carolina.
The initiative comes at a time when the state’s entire teacher workforce has not seen a significant pay raise since 2008.
Teachers have until next month to apply and will know if they're selected by May 30th.It's unclear whether the program will continue beyond next school year.
Find out more here.
The State of Things