The state Senate on Thursday debated a controversial bill to allow four local governments to create their own charter schools. The bill applies to the towns of Cornelius, Matthews, Huntersville and Mint Hill - and as a local bill is not subject to veto.
Updated at 6:37 p.m. ET The Trump administration made good on threats to impose tariffs on some of the nation's closest allies Thursday, announcing it will no longer exempt Canada, Mexico and the European Union from previously announced levies on steel and aluminum. The announcement was made in Paris by Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross. Canada and Mexico had been exempted from the tariffs announced in March while negotiations over the North American Free Trade Agreement continued. But Ross said...
Is the North Carolina Department of Public Safety breaking its own rules? A 2016 policy change prohibits inmates with mental health issues from being held in solitary confinement for more than 30 days. So why was Devon Davis, who is developmentally delayed and has mental illness, kept in solitary for more than five months last year?
Like & Follow WUNC
- Trade tariffs: Chorus of condemnation intensifies
- Italy government: Giuseppe Conte to head populist coalition
- Tamaulipas crisis: Mexico seeks talks over 'silenced zone'
- Arkady Babchenko: Suspect remanded in reporter's hoax death case
- South Africa outrage over 'naked' school choir performance
- Denmark passes ban on niqabs and burkas