As a young man, David Goforth served in the National Guard throughout the 1980s. He enjoyed weekends practicing drills at Fort Bragg until he came upon a training accident that gave him pause.
Since the arrests of two black men at a Philadelphia Starbucks in April, several more instances have been documented of mostly white people calling the police on people of color for various reasons, none involving breaking the law — like sleeping in a dorm's common room, shopping, leaving an Airbnb or golfing too slowly. Starbucks is responding to the incident at its store by closing all of the chain's more than 8,000 locations around the country for some of the day on May 29 for racial bias...
A Texas woman filed a lawsuit Monday accusing R.Kelly of sexual battery and knowingly infecting her with herpes. This is the latest in a decades-long string of allegations against the R&B artist that detail an array of misconduct, including his repeatedly holding women against their will in a “sex cult.” Hollywood leaders recently renewed the #MuteRKelly movement to demand that companies who profit from his music cut ties.
Like & Follow WUNC
- Italy crisis: Call to impeach president after candidate vetoed
- Colombia election: Run-off expected in first vote since Farc deal
- Mamoudou Gassama: Mali 'spiderman' wows France with Paris child rescue
- BTS become first K-pop band to top US album charts
- Spain's Podemos leader survives confidence vote over house purchase
- Trump-Kim summit: President Moon could attend, says South Korea