The Department of Homeland Security will proceed with an Obama Administration grant program to counter violent extremism, but UNC-Chapel Hill is among a handful of recipients that will be left out.
Updated at 6 p.m. ET June 23
Nevada Sen. Dean Heller on Friday became the latest GOP lawmaker to voice concerns about the Senate health care bill — a development that further complicates Republican efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. "I cannot support a piece of legislation that takes away insurance from tens of millions of Americans and hundreds of thousands of Nevadans," Heller said at a news conference back in Nevada. It was a stunning indictment of his own party...
In May 1862, Robert Smalls became a Union hero overnight when he stole a Confederate steamer from the Charleston harbor. Smalls had been enslaved his whole life and decided to free himself and his family by stealing the Planter and piloting it to the Union fleet outside Charleston, South Carolina.
Like & Follow WUNC
- China landslide: 15 dead, over 100 missing in Sichuan
- Qatar says list of demands by Arab states not realistic
- Schwarzenegger and Macron join forces in swipe at Trump
- Muslims on India train assaulted 'because they ate beef'
- Venezuelan dad makes plea to president
- Colombia conflict: ELN rebels free Dutch journalists